What happened in the English Premiership over the weekend?

Man U vs Liverpool

The English Premiership entered its 9th week in the weekend of October 19 and 20 with sumptuous match ups served the teeming fans of the league.

In the day’s early game, Everton lifted the pressure on boss Marco Silva with a deserved 2-0 victory over a disappointing West Ham at Goodison Park.

Bernard finished a flowing Toffees move from a tight angle to open the scoring, before second-half substitute Gylfi Sigurdsson sealed the win with a marvellous drive from the edge of the penalty area.

Matt Targett also scored late on to earn Aston Villa a 2-1 win over 10-man Brighton at Villa Park. Adam Webster broke the deadlock for the Seagulls with a free header, but Aaron Mooy was dismissed for a second bookable offence late in the first half.

Conor Hourihane had a goal chalked off by VAR soon afterwards, but Jack Grealish fired home Frederic Guilbert’s cross before Targett clinched the win for the hosts with virtually the last kick of the game.

Raul Jimenez’s penalty cancelled out Danny Ings’ strike to earn Wolves a 1-1 draw at home to Southampton.

Ings found the bottom corner to give the Saints the lead eight minutes into the second half, but Jimenez – whose first-half strike was disallowed by VAR for an apparent handball – slotted home from the penalty spot after Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg had tripped Matt Doherty.

In the matchup between Tottenham Hotspur and Watford, it took a Dele Alli’s late goal to square the match after Watford had almost run away with a one zero score line.

Alli salvaged a late point for Tottenham against Watford as VAR took centre stage in the Premier League on Saturday.

Abdoulaye Doucoure had earlier swept home Daryl Janmaat’s cross to open the scoring but when Hornets goalkeeper Ben Foster flapped at a late cross, Alli controlled the ball with his shoulder before firing into the unguarded net.

The video assistant referee gave the goal following a review, but the big screen inside the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium indicated that Alli’s strike had been disallowed. After a period of confusion, the goal was eventually given and Watford were denied their first win of the season.

Second-placed Manchester City narrowed the gap on leaders Liverpool with a routine 2-0 win at Crystal Palace in Saturday’s late game.

Wayne Hennessey produced fine saves to deny Bernardo Silva and Ilkay Gundogan in the first half, but two goals in quick succession from Gabriel Jesus and David Silva gave Pep Guardiola’s side a comfortable lead at the break.

Christian Benteke powered a header against the crossbar in the second half, while Kevin de Bruyne struck the post with a header of his own as City moved to within five points of Jurgen Klopp’s charges in the standings.

At the King Power Stadium, Chris Wood’s late goal was ruled out by VAR as Leicester City marked the anniversary of former owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s death with a 2-1 victory over Burnley.

Wood’s powerful header opened the scoring for the Clarets, but goals from Jamie Vardy and Youri Tielemans either side of half-time put the Foxes in the driving seat.

Marcos Alonso scored the only goal of the game as Chelsea beat Newcastle to claim their fifth successive victory and move into the top four.

Frank Lampard’s side struggled to create clear-cut chances in an even first half at Stamford Bridge, but Alonso’s superb angled drive earned the hosts all three points with 17 minutes remaining.

At the Vitality Stadium, Norwich City held Bournemouth to a goalless draw to claim their first away point since gaining promotion to the top flight.

There was drama at Old Trafford on Sunday with Adam Lallana’s late equaliser rescuing a point for Liverpool as Manchester United ended the leaders’ flawless start to the Premier League season.

Liverpool were in search of their 18th successive league win to equal Manchester City’s top-flight record set between August and December 2017 but had to settle for a point after a scrappy encounter.

Marcus Rashford’s hotly-contested first-half goal, allowed after a video assistant referee check for a foul by Victor Lindelof on Divock Origi, looked to be condemning Liverpool to their first league loss since they went down at Manchester City in January.

Rashford finished neatly from Daniel James’ cross in the 36th minute but Liverpool, who saw a first-half strike from Sadio Mane ruled out by VAR for handball, struck back when substitute Lallana arrived unmarked at the far post to score from Andy Robertson’s cross five minutes from time.

The draw means Liverpool’s advantage at the top of the table has been cut to six points.

On Monday, October 21, Arsenal in sixth position, will be guests to Sheffield United at the Bramall Lane to round up week 9 fixtures.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here